Review: Gnomeo and Juliet

I had passed this movie off as a "Wait for Cable".  Then our drive-in theater opened for the season and we ended up seeing it.  I'm so glad we did!

This Disney movie is released in conjunction with Elton John's Rocket Films.  It's funny, VERY clever both in the characters reflecting people's garden inhabitants and in so many details in the film, including referencing Shakespeare's creations.  It also has that sweet, poignant moments we expect in these stories.  And for the people who gnash their teeth that kids won't know the real Romeo and Juliet, the film DOES teach the true story and taught it by no other than William Shakespeare himself.

The cast is well rounded and has a number of surprises.  Including...

...wait for it!

Ozzy Ozbourne in a lead, supporting role.

I don't think you heard me.  OZZY OZBOURNE is starring in a DISNEY film! (Does a nice job too.)

Last but never least, Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote several new songs that are just wonderful.  I fell in love with "Hello Hello" and downloaded it as soon as the movie was over.

One note: Disney released this under the Touchstone label which surprised me.  I didn't see anything in there that didn't warrant the Walt Disney label, but maybe that's me.  Parents be warned this movie does touch on death, as do many other animated films, and (SPOILER ALERT) the characters are alive, even the one I swore was gone.  You see him at the end during the last song.

So don't make the mistake I almost did: get out and see this sweet, fun film in the theaters when you're looking for an animated film to see.  (As opposed to Rango which I have from several good authorities that said don't bother.  And that's putting it nicely.)

Comments

Popular Posts